Not all Americana songs are about trucks and trains, but the same subjects do pop up over and over again. So here's some suggestions for thematic CD samplers. The list is in no particular order and is, of course, entirely subjective and primarily based on the contents of my CD collection. Click below the list to make your own suggestions. Or submit an entire list for future publication here.
The Wandering Minstrel
Musicians live on the road, so it’s not surprising they write about it, or that they don't always feel that it treats them well. Here's a list of a few songs on that theme.
1. Ain’t That the Way – Devon Sproule
I asked God for a good job. He put me on a plane.
2. Everywhere…Yet – Verlon Thompson
Book us a room, we’ll be in your town soon.
3. Beautiful Trouble – Tom Russell
You pull out on the road until your clothes don’t fit.
4. if i drop names of exotic towns that you’ll never see, in the songs that i write, it’s that that’s all i have when i miss my girl & you’re taking yours home tonight – Luke Doucet
5. On the Road Again – Willie Nelson
The life I love is makin’ music with my friends
6. Blue Motel Room – Gordie Tentrees
Left and lonesome out on the road, take me back blue-hearted soul
7. Beauty and the Mess – Nickel Creek
All they get of you is what they get out of the show
8. What I Really Mean – Robert Earl Keen
With the blues and booze and barbecues and our name on the marquee
9. Stage Door – Blue Rodeo
A steel-string guitar and a little weed, and someone to keep me company
10. Road Too Long – Slaid Cleaves
I’m out for seven weeks this time, I can’ t remember where I’ve been